The Editorial Committee of the European Investment Law and Arbitration Review invites original, unpublished, high quality submissions for the Essay Competition 2019.
The Essay Competition is open to all students, junior scholars and junior practitioners from around the world. To be eligible for the prize, authors must:
- be enrolled in a BCL, LLB, JD, LLM, DCL, or PhD program (or their local equivalents); or
- have taken their most recent law degree within the last three years; or
- have been admitted to the practice of law for no more than three years.
Submissions for the Essay Competition 2019 must relate to one of the following topics:
- The EU-Vietnam FTA
- The EU-Japan FTA
- The UNCITRAL negotiations regarding ISDS reform
- The proposed investment court system (ICS) and the expected Opinion of the CJEU.
- The Vattenfall decision regarding the Achmea judgment
- The Chevron v. Ecuador decision
- Brexit, EU law and investment treaty arbitration
- State immunity and enforcement of awards within the EU
All submissions should be between 5.000 and 12.000 words, including footnotes. Co-authored submissions are permissible.
All submissions should be in English and must be in conformity with the Review’s house style. The Review’s house style is available here.
All submissions should be accompanied by documents, which prove that the eligibility criteria for the Essay Competition are met.
The deadline for submission is: 1 April 2019.
Submissions are to be emailed as an attached Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject “Submission for EILAR Essay Competition 2019”.
Winners will be chosen by the Editorial Committee of the Review.
The winning submission and the runner-up submission will be published in the Review.
In addition, the following prizes will be awarded:
First prize: EUR 500 worth of books sponsored by Brill / Nijhoff
Second prize: EUR 250 worth of books sponsored by Brill / Nijhoff
Third prize: EUR 150 cash sponsored by Norton Rose Fulbright, London
All winners will receive a complimentary pass to the 2020 EFILA Annual Conference.